Monday, December 19, 2011

My Antonia-Book Review

Willa Cather in her novel My Antonia offers her view of life during the pioneer time.The novel is very entertaining, if expressed from Antonia's point of view, the story would be completely different. The introduction would have started differently, not explaining Jim's travel to Nebraska. I'm sure some of the novel would be written in Bohemian because Antonia does not learn English until Jim teaches her.

The author, Willa Cather, is a lady writing a book from a man's point of view. She is successful in completing that specific goal. In the scene where Jim kills the snake, I felt as if a man was actually telling the story. I'm sure if I were telling the story, Jim would be screaming like a girl and jumping into Antonia's lap because I know that is what I would be doing.

The title, Antonia, is not descriptive enough for me. My Antonia is much better because that explains so much. Willa Cather chose My Antonia to explain that Jim loves Antonia and she, metaphorically, is his. They spend so much time together in the first half of the novel, I knew they held sentimental value for each other.

My Antonia by Willa Cather was a great book. The novel demonstrates the times of the Pioneers. A fun read always gets me interested and I am glad this book was chosen for us to read. An experience through the eyes of a pioneer.

No comments:

Post a Comment